Friday, October 20, 2006

Debian Etch

Just installed the latest Debian Etch (Debian 4.0) on my server using netinst cd. The netinst cd contains the base install and is about 150MB in size (better than downloading the full CD). Wow, is it me or is Etch much faster than Sarge.

Since netinst only has the base packages, I need to manually install everything I need, which is better because I get to keep the server lean. I need ssh, svn, apache, mysql, and perl (basically the whole LAMP thingy). Java, Tomcat, JUnit, ANT and Continuous Integration server will come later on. But I ran into a bit of a trouble. Since I installed from CD, I don't have the web mirrors set up. The fix is simple:

1.Add to /etc/apt/sources.list:
deb http://mirror.optus.net/debian/ etch main
2. apt-get update

Which threw up the following error:

# apt-get update
......
Fetched 5562B in 13s (421B/s)
Reading package lists... Done
W: There are no public key available for the following key IDs: A70DAF536070D3A1
W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems

Bit of googling showed the fix is simple

3. apt-get install debian-archive-keyring
4. apt-get update

NOTE: You need to be root when you do all these.

No comments: